Artist: Alma (Alexandra Maquet)
Word of the day
Masse - Mass
of the dead...
Singers and songwriters from all francophone countries were invited to submit potential entries for this year’s Eurovision to represent France. An internal selection was used to select Alma and Requiem. It could have been worse, but with all the francophone countries involved it should have been better.
Alma says her mentor for Eurovision is last year’s French Representative Amir. Her song was also co-written by Nazim Khaled, who co-wrote J'ai cherché last year which finished 6th.They may hope this will perform better, but it needs quite a performance to achieve that.
A prerequisite for the French entry this year was that it was at least 80% in French. The remaining 20% could be any language, which generally means it will be partially English, as Alma says in her intro, "to reach a larger audience". It is bloody Eurovision, you cannot reach a larger audience if you tried. The Italian song sung in Italian is going to win, that's reaching a larger audience.
All of France's Eurovision winners have been sung in French, French and only French, going back to their first win in 1958. Dear France, Stop trying to hang with the cool kids and just do what you are good at.